Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Writers don't work for you

I love George R.R. Martin's grand fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire, and I'm impatiently waiting for the next book to come out so I can see what happens to all the characters I've come care about so fervently. Jon Snow! Tyrion Lannister! Arya Stark! These are some of the most three-dimensional, fascinating people I've ever met, and I can't wait to remake their acquaitance.

And GRRM, as we fans call him, has not produced the fifth book in his series on any of the dates his publisher has put forward, promising us we'd have the book.

This doesn't make me mad, as it does some of GRRM's fans. But it does frustrate me. Write, GRRM, write! That's what I think. How hard can it be?

I'm a writer. I should know better.

Neil Gaiman puts it brilliantly in a response to a GRRM fan's question on this topic on his blog.

You can click on the link to read Neil's thoughtful, oh-so-right response in full. Or you can get the gist from one sentence:

"George R.R. Martin is not your bitch."

There's a lot more to it. But that's the essence of it all. If you pay for a book, then you got what you paid for. One book is not a promise of future books. George R.R. Martin does not work for me. And he has his own life to lead.

Still can't wait for the next book, though. Hang in there, GRRM!

No comments: