Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Proofing takes Forever

(Sung to the tune of "Diamonds are Forever")

So I'm proofing the rewrite, and totally underestimated the time necessary for it. I hummed along thinking, la la la, I'll just whip through the proofing and send it off.

Ha!

You can't whip through proofreading, because then it isn't proofreading, it's speed reading. I often say the words out loud or consciously make my eyes embrace each word as it comes along as I proof. Otherwise I'd skip along, tra la, and skip all the typos and awkward phrases. Writing and reading are so much more fun than proofing. But you can't send out a manuscript with errors, baby. It's not professional. And it's us amateurs that need to look professional the most.

A little more than halfway through the proof. If lucky, and determined, I hope to finish it tomorrow.

No comments: