Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Red, White, and Blue Day



I'm so proud of our country. We take for granted this peaceful transfer of power, I think, forgetting how revolutionary it still is.

It's an amazing day. I wish I could be there with the two million who witnessed the inauguration of Barack Obama, but I feel as if we are all there in spirit today. The thing with feathers is fluttering in my heart once more, and I'm a bit verklempt. It makes me realize how difficult these past eight years have been. I've been holding my breath, braced for more horror from my own government. Now, I hope, I can breathe a bit freer. And so will the rest of the world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Long time lurker coming out to say that you hit the nail on the head! Today felt like an entire country exhaling.

Nina Berry said...

I have a lurker?? I'm so excited!

Thanks for posting, Jane. I'm glad to know you feel the same way. Phew! Now we can breathe!