Monday, June 13, 2011

In Which My Tweet is Quoted at Ew.com

Did you see episode nine of Game of Thrones yet? If you have, you can see that I'm quoted in a (SPOILERIFIC) article at ew.com here.

If you haven't, don't waste time reading this. Go and watch, little grasshopper! Go now, I say!

I read the books by George R.R. Martin first, loved them, and was thrilled when HBO announced they were adapting them for cable TV.

And here's the thing. The series isn't perfect. But in some places it's actually better than the books. This is coming from a book lover, from one who has read all the books several times.

They proved it big time last night in episode nine, entitled "Baelor." Again, it wasn't perfect. Some of the exposition in the middle dragged a bit, although the acting and character work was as always fabulous.

Then they got to the final scene of the episode, a scene which, in the books, is infamous and celebrated amongst fantasy readers. I won't spoil it for you here, just in case you haven't seen the show or read the books. (Go do both! Now, fucking now!) But after I first read the scene, I literally sat there dumbfounded, mouth agape, for five minutes. It's bold, it's harsh, it's completely wonderful.

So I knew what to expect with this ep of the show. I knew it was coming. I was thrilled to see what they'd do with it, braced for the emotional impact.

It was far better than I ever could have dreamed.

How often does that happen? So I tweeted about it. Fifteen minutes after the east coast feed of the show ended, I tweeted. "I read the books. I knew it was coming. Still, it was shocking, horrific, and fantastic. #gameofthrones #baelor."

And ew.com used it in their article.

I'm too famous now to bother telling you more. *sniff*

Actually, I didn't gain a single twitter follower from it. But it was pretty cool just the same.

No comments: