Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Happy Summer!



Summer solstice today, and in LA the temperature's in the 80's and sunny.

As it should be.

This is the longest day of the year, and as a person who grew up in a state (Hawaii) where the days stayed pretty much the same length all year ('cause Hawaii's close to the equator) I have a strong love for this day. I still find it very odd to have daylight around 8pm. When I visited Ireland in August a few years back, I took photos without a flash at ISO 100 at 10pm at night. To me, this is miraculous!

In ancient Egypt, the summer solstice marked not only the day the sun was at its highest, but the beginning of the all-important inundation of the Nile.  In their mythology, it was at this time that the sun god Horus defeated his uncle Set, Lord of Darkness.

Which reminds me, lots brewing right now, writing-wise. Can't share, but it feels good to percolate. I am coffee! A strong, slightly bitter brew no doubt.

No comments: