Friday, November 18, 2011

The Week in Review

This week was a roller coaster.

1. My kitchen got rained on by busted pipes from my upstairs neighbor, who was out of town. My slumlord landlady could not be reached (the number she gave was a fax machine) and every building manager and repairman I'd ever been in touch with over the years had quit working for her. It took me three days of dogged detective work, pleading, and threatening to get her to agree to fix the pipes, get a repairman, and arrange for the upstairs neighbor (a great guy) to get his keys to the repairman.

It took the repairman (Gregory, also a nice guy) ten minutes to fix the problem.

Now I'm just grateful that my kitchen is dry. Simple pleasures.

2. I didn't sleep for two nights straight because of the very loud leaking pipes, my hatred for having something go wrong in my nest (er, apartment), and my lack of control over getting anything fixed because all power lay in the hands of my evil landlady. Other things I can't discuss were going on too. So I walked around like Queen Zombie until the leak was fixed and sleep konked me on the head.

3. I didn't get nearly enough writing done (see above), but I did come up with some great stuff in my head that I can't wait to get down on paper. Hello, weekend!

4. The cd player in my car broke, and I haven't had time to get a new one. So I've been listening to these things once known as "cassette tapes." Via these old compilations I rediscovered my love for "old" songs like 1979 by the Smashing Pumpkins, Big Bang Baby by Stone Temple Pilots, and She Will Have Her Way by Neil Finn.

But I'm itching to play some stuff I just downloaded (The Decemberists latest, for starters) and can't listen in the car!  So a new stereo beckons. This one will have the capability to play mp3 files too. Though I still prefer the less compressed full sound you get from cds.

5. My friends kept me sane this week. Keep your friends close.

6. I've seen the cover for my novel. Can't share yet. But let's just say... tiger.

There is no cooler word.

No comments: